It feels as if there have been too many injuries this season, but some will be coming back within the next month or so. Many injury plagued owners (like I am in one league) have had to cut bait on a star waiting in the DL wings. If you are lucky have an open DL spot, here’s who I think you should pick up (note some on the short term DL, like Kemp, I don’t think would be available so I won’t list him):
1. Carl Crawford: Need for Speed? He can potentially be the only one. Although Ellsbury is on the DL chances are no one dropped him. I was hoping that he would be back already, but you all know his setbacks. I would stash him, hope for All-Star break, and also 30 SBs. He can make up a huge gap in tight category.
2. Ryan Howard: In one of my leagues I just swooped him up 2 days ago. He is at extended spring and already mashing homers. Check to see if the 1st rounder is still available, I’m hoping he is also up at the All-Star.
3. Brett Gardner: He should not be available, but if he is he’s number 1. He should be back in a week or so, and has Crawford’s SBs. Just in case I want to add him.
4. Roy Halladay: Also in the category of should not be available, but some people were scared away by the slower start. Even in an off year he should be producing at a 3rd SP level.
5. Chase Utley: I think he’ll come back after Howard, in the range of Late July, although he is also in extended spring training. The feeling we have been here before pushes him back.
6. Emilio Bonifacio: His position eligibility and speed make him worth the wait.